Friday, October 26, 2007

Breasts like Martinis

I ran into this great poem by Jill McDonough. I got it from Slate Magazine, and you can go there and listen to her read it if you'd like. (Poetry is ALWAYS better when the poet reads it herself.)

But if you're lazy, I think it's short enough for me to reprint here.


Breasts like Martinis
by Jill McDonough

The bartender at Caesar's tells jokes we've heard a hundred times.
A shoelace walks into a bar, for example. I whisper
Sarah Evers told me that joke in sixth grade
and Josey says
My brother Steve, 1982. A whore, a midget, a Chinaman,
nothing we haven't heard. Then a customer asks
Why are breasts like martinis? and they both start laughing.
They know this one, everybody knows this one, except
us. They don't even bother with the punch line. The bartender just says
Yeah, but I always said there should be a third one, on the back,
for dancing, dancing with the woman-shaped air behind the bar, his hand
on the breast on her back. So we figure three is too many,
one's not enough. Okay; we can do better than that. I like my breasts
like I like my martinis
, we say: Small and bruised or big and dry. Perfect.
Overflowing. Reeking of juniper,
spilling all over the bar.
When I have a migraine and she reaches for me, I say
Josey, my breasts are like martinis. She nods, solemn:
People should keep their goddamn hands off yours. How
could we tell these jokes to the bartender? We can't. He'll never know.
I say it after scrubbing the kitchen cabinets, and she gets it:
dirty and wet. Walking in the wind, Josey says My breasts
are like martinis
and I hail a cab, know she means shaking, ice cold.


It says on that page that Jill McDonough is a Wallace Stegner fellow at Stanford University. I don't know what that is, but it sounds prestigious.


Return to Monkey Barn Home Page

No comments: