I have divided up the Daily Lynx into High Brow, Middle Brow, and Monkey Brow. DON'T JUST SKIP TO THE LAST ONES!
1. A couple of interesting articles on Slate.com lately. One of them details the 80 most powerful people over 80. Not surprisingly, most were white men (since power and influence is generally accrued over time, and working backwards....); in fact, some of the non traditional choices smacked of quota filling. Still, it was a fascinating list. I knew fifty-some of them by sight, and twenty more by their name, but a few were complete mysteries to me. Worth checking out.
2. Christopher Hitchens (my favorite liberal apart from the Monkey Barn Bitches), has an interesting article on Pakistan constituting the major new threat. I don't share his optimism that a politician will honor his previous words (even one who walks on water, like Obama apparently does), but Hitchens is one of the foremost experts in the world on the Middle East, and always has inciteful and unique things to say.
3. I meant to post this back when Biden and Palin were being put through the paces, but the word "vet" has an interesting etymology. I was watching Larry King when Biden was selected, and not one of Larry's panel of "experts" knew the origins. Turns out it's exactly what it sounds like, and perfect for politics.
4. Here is Jon Voigt talking about John McCain. You know, I'd have like to have been a fly on the wall in Angelina's house growing up, to see what actually happened there. Or, you know, a fly in her shower.
5. Speaking of flies, from the "Why the Fuck?" category, they are making an opera of Jeff Goldblum's The Fly. Why why why, sing about the Fly?
6. Combining the high-brow of sophisticated aesthetics and the low-brow prurience of sex, Wolford has designed the world's most entime stockings. Yowza! I spent at least two hours on this site. I've always been an "all the meats of our cultural stew" kind of guy, but Wolford makes you want to be a leg-man.
7. From a great discovery "Offbeat Earth," I found the post 10 Examples of How to Run a Picture. I stole the first but you got to see the rest to believe them.
I don't know if I like the white boy next to the pink-panther rapper best, the ruined wedding photo, or the last one, which....You know: I'm not even going to describe that one, other than to ask WHO WOULD MAKE THAT PICTURE PUBLIC?????
8. Finally, on Sea Hag's website, she compared Sarah Palin to the therapist on the Sopranos. Not bad. However, I have heard it mentioned that Palin might look more like the hot-teacher stripper (Miss Davis) in VARSITY BLUES. Her name is Tonie Perensky, and to the left is the only decent picture I could find. (It doesn't do the comparison justice.) Miss Davis comes out on the dance floor in this teacher outfit....with those glasses, and the rest is history.
Anyway, while I don't have a good comparison pic, maybe I can do one better. Incdredibly NSFW, I have still pictures of the striptease itself. (Or, if you want to join the club, you can see the movie clip, or hundreds of thousands of other nudity movie clips. Or you can buy me a subscription, and earn eternal cunilingus!)
Those are your Daily Lynx. Enjoy and use them well.