Friday, November 09, 2007

ABBA vs.

I was listening to Mike & Mike in the Morning (this morning), and somehow they got to talking about the universal awesomeness of ABBA. Basically, their premise was that no matter who you were--from Gloria Steinem to Fitty Cent, you hear ABBA on the radio and you start dancing.

I'm not even going to debate that, as it is so true. But here's my problem. They pronounced the group like Aaaa-buh, whereas I have always heard it pronounced Ahhh-buh. (In case my homemade phoenetics were confusing, they pronounced the first syllable like the "a" in "fat" or "snack," where I always heard it more like the "a" in "father" or even the "o" in "clock."

My question, then, to all of you is, WHICH WAY DO YOU PRONOUNCE ABBA?


And since it would be cruel to bring up the group and not let you have a listen, here's a video of arguably their best song. (I'm not saying it is definitively; we'll do that next week):

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well if it's supposed to be like 'Abba, Father' then its 'Ahh'. But I've heard it both ways.

But in Georgia I also hear Pee-can instead of Puh-con, buggie instead of shopping cart, and cousin instead of wife.

Anonymous said...

The name of the Swedish pop group "ABBA" is an acronym formed from the first letters of each group member's given name (Agnetha, Björn, Benny, Anni-Frid), thus there is NO "correct" pronunciation for this ACRONYM! - from Randy, an ABBA fan from Scottsdale, AZ

Dragon said...

Aaaa-buh, duh.

MerryJoe said...

In England it's mostly pronounced with the first syllable rhyming with "crab", whereas in the U.S. it usually rhymes with "papa". So take your pick. As someone already said, it's an acronym -- deal with it however you want.

Anonymous said...

Well if it's the letters from their names, do they pronounce the A's a or ah? Is it Ah-gnetha and Ah-nnifrid or A-gnetha and A-nnifrid? Seems to me, it would be the latter.