Friday, December 21, 2007

NFL Passer Ratings

Okay, this will probably appeal to no one, but I thought I'd throw it out there. I'm working on a big Sports column for the end of the year (or beginning of next year: whichever comes first). One of the things that piqued my interest is the bizarre way they calculate NFL Passer Ratings. Perfect is 158.3, a totally weird random number, and you don't even have to be perfect to score perfect! Find last night's Steelers/Rams game, and calculate Ben Roethlisbergers statistics. (I'm not including a link, because I figure if you don't know how to find and interpret a box score, you're not going to be able to help me, so this is a good way to weed people out.)

Anyway, Ben had a magnificent game, including a stellar 16 for 20 passing, 261 yards and 3 touch downs. It's awesome, but it's not perfect! So, how did he score a "Perfect" rating?

So, my plan is to work on a new formula. I suppose you wouldn't have to be a Sports Fan to help, just into math, but if you're interested, email me at hyperioninstitute@gmail.com and we'll get an email correspondence going.

No comments: