Saturday, October 29, 2005

Shot across the Bow

When I first read what “Anonymous” wrote I was pretty upset. I wrote my own comment, but couldn’t figure out how to get the poetry just right. That and the fact that a comment shouldn’t consist of saying “go fuck yourself” more than twice.

So I let it go and I thought about it. More specifically, I thought about the Hyperionic Code, which (surprise surprise) I actually wrote myself without any help (unless you count Hammurabi, and I don’t). In that Hyperionic Code, I wrote that it’s not what people get wrong about you so much that burns you up, but what they get right.

So, no matter how many legitimate attacks we could make on “Anonymous’s” character, no matter how many times I could bang his girlfriend, he’s still essentially right.

Not always, but lately there have been a lot more links. If you go back five months you’ll see that the last few weeks more and more have been from the aforementioned gorilla mask.

There’s two reasons for that, or more accurately, two offshoots of the same reason. When I started this site I never intended for people to really go here. The site is the most like a “blog,” and I didn’t want to do a blog. I merely wanted to use the services of the good people at Blogger to put my columns on. But c’est la vie, this site is by far the most popular. (What that says about you people I don’t know, but I’ll move on.)

Anyway, I didn’t intend to do links, but every now and then I ran into something I thought was funny and I’d post it. This proved to be quite popular. Now, the reason I’ve been doing more links lately, and the reason they are in general more from one site is the same: I’m just extremely busy. Besides the column, and the movie reviews, and the top ten lists, and the stories, I’m working on a novel, three screenplays, and trying to get published. (You know, from people that might actually pay me money, as none of you seem to be wont to do, no offense intended.) And, I’m trying to launch three new sites. Something had to give. As it were, it was my least favorite site, this one. Instead of spending my time developing the nearly 100 ideas I have for short posts, I have been leaning on links as a way to have consistent material rather than short humorous observations about whatever.

The very first time I linked something I asked Hyperion Council member Laureate if I should credit it. He said no, for the reason that the site I was linking from got plenty of traffic, and could care less about me, and that sites like Gorilla Mask and others get their links from other sites too. In other words, it’s not like one person is making all this stuff up.

However, a good point is a good point. So, here is what I’m going to do. I’m going to pick the best of the “links” I have stored and post them all right now. After that, this site will no longer have links unless A) someone sends them to me or B) they are related to something I want to talk about. If you want to see links you can go to one of those other sites. That’s the way it is.

Oh, and Anonymous? You are a coward. In the Hyperion Nation, we don’t hide when we have something to say. Make up a name and stick with it. Or go back where you came from. [And I was just kidding about banging your girlfriend. We all know how you spend your nights, and if there’s any pussy involved it’s much more likely to be that two-tongued cat. Let’s be friends for life.]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is like 5th grade when one little wanker ruins playtime it for the rest of us.

Anonymous, pog ma hon - you twat.

Hyperion - thanks for all your work - you let us into your writing and your life and for that I thank you.