Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Denny's 2

So, as I’m getting ready to go I get a call out of the blue from Castro. Old-school readers will recall that Castro used to show up all the time in the Chronicles, but not the last year. That’s because he moved to California to become a surfer, or possibly save the gay baby whales; I forget which.

Anyway, it was way awkward because Castro was in my writing group, and he totally flaked on me. Just quit answering emails or phone calls, and basically left us hanging. In fact, I was going to change his alias to “Dandruff,” he was such a big flake.

Part of me was apprehensive about meeting him, but these days I’m more equanimical about things. Bygones, you know? Turned out to be a good decision. We talked just like old times about everything under the sun, and my Denny’s friend Pedro came over at one point and we argued about Time, Infinity, and dogmatic Evolution. Great times.

What’s the point of this? Not sure, but I guess I’m glad I didn’t burn any bridges. Some people shift in your life from what you they were or what you wanted them to be, but that doesn’t mean they have to be nothing to you.

No comments: