Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Denny's 3

On another note, Pedro is an interesting dude. Won’t read Harry Potter or watch Lord of the Rings on religious grounds, but he’s not a typical nut. Most of the people who I meet like that are either total whack jobs, spouting venom that is too ridiculous to be believed, or they are just grossly uniformed, preferring to get all their “facts” from James Dobson; a dangerous plan if I ever heard one.

Pedro, on the other hand, is well-informed, thoughtful, and perhaps most infuriating, non-judgmental. He didn’t tell me I was wrong for loving Harry, but simply felt it was wrong himself to read something glorifying witchcraft and wizardry (and this is a gross simplification of his view, so don’t write in all half-cocked about him until you’ve heard the whole story).

Pedro agreed to at least listen to what I had to say if I would do the same, and thus a diner-friendship was born.

Anyway, when we discuss movies, if I’m recommending one to him, I’ll joking say “No witchcraft,” as if that should be THE selling point. Last night somehow the fact that he saw MEET THE FOCKERS in theatre came up. I castigated him. “Pedro, that movie has Barbra Streisand in it! That’s worse than witchcraft. That’s bitchcraft!”

No comments: