Thursday, August 11, 2005

A trip to the Library

So before I went to Colorado’s I went to the Library. I overheard this librarian talking to a patron about how she’d never read “Moby Dick” or Kafka’s “The Castle” Kafka I can understand, it’s not his most famous, but how can a librarian not have read “Moby Dick”?

When it was my turn I jokingly said I wasn’t sure I could trust a librarian who hadn’t read “Moby Dick.” Understand, for the average person, maybe you’ve read it (by force, in high school), maybe you haven’t. But for a Literary person, and a Librarian at that, “Moby Dick” seems to be required. Note I don’t say she’d like it; unless you’re really into Melville “Moby Dick” can be quite boring at times, but still; my friend Aslan read it for no other reason than to be a better person!

Anyway, this librarian isn’t embarrassed at all. I ask her what books she is embarrassed about not having read, and she says, “Oh, some Canadian authors.” Please. After a minute, she comes up with "War and Peace." Finally she admits that as a Librarian she probably should have read
"Moby Dick" and others, but since her real profession is a Social Worker, her standards are lower.

Of course, this brings up a host of other questions (like what kind of social experiment scam is the Library trying to pull), but I had to leave so the questions went unanswered.

No comments: