Friday, July 20, 2007

I now pronounce you Homophobic




Our good friend Cheryl (from Bread and Bread) has an interesting comparison between I NOW PRONOUNCE YOU CHUCK AND LARRY and the 1980s comedy SOUL MAN.

I haven't seen CHUCK AND LARRY yet, so I can't judge, but if the previews are any indication, she may be right on.

Besides the insult of an Adam Sandler movie, CHUCK AND LARRY seems rife with homophobia. I'm certainly not P.C., but sometimes I wonder if it's not enough already.

I remember watching SOUL MAN back in the '80s and thinking it was funny, but this was due mainly to

1) I was too young to really understand what I was watching and

2) It was a Pg-13 movie, and I was only 11. You could have shown me TRIUMPH OF WILL and I would have felt awesome. (If you don't believe me: I was also thrilled to be allowed by the same babysitter that rented us SOUL MAN to watch JUST ONE OF THE GUYS, including a .5 second nude scene.)

The point it, I watched part of SOUL MAN a few years ago and was just appalled. How was this movie even made? (And what in the the sam-hell was James Earl Jones doing in it?)



The movie is supposedly about two New York Firefighters that pretend to be gay for health insurance reasons. According to Kaida, the gay firefighters of New York have endorsed the film.

First off, I am a big fan of Rescue Me, which I know tries its best to get the details correct. I have a hard time believing that there is that big a group of gay firefighters.

Second, Kaida claims the group is called FIREFLAG. I'm not even going to explain to you why I think that is unlikely.

Anyway, count me as someone not looking forward to the movie.

Unless Jessica Biel gets naked. Then all bets are off.


1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Thanks for the link! And I do like me some Jessica Biel--but maybe I'll just rent that magician movie she was in.