Tuesday, March 20, 2007

News Items

I wrote notes, planning to write it in paragraph form, but I got lazy, so here it is in point form:


Rumors Circling Around A Google Phone

- I think it should have an "I'm feeling lucky" button that just dials a random number.


New Practices In Organ Donation Stir Debate

- I think the main reason most people don't sign their organ donor card is because of misunderstandings. "Do I want to be an organ donor? I guess that church down the road does need a new organ, but I don't have one."

- I was called by the liver foundation, and they were asking for donations. I said I was using mine right now, but they're welcome to help themselves when I'm done."



The World's Largest Passenger Plane has Landed in New York and Los Angeles

- The Airbus A380 has 2 floors and can seat 555 people.

- If there's ever any trouble with it, and Jodie Foster happens to be on the plane, she will know everything about it because she built it. That's right. I just made an obscure reference to the movie Flightplan . It wasn't that great of a movie.



The US just issued a Visa for Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad

- The Iranian leader is heading to the UN headquarters in New York to make his case against further nuclear sanctions.

- I'm sure he wishes he could just come to the US without all the messy paper work, but if life were like that, you wouldn't need a Visa.



2008 Campaign Goes Negative on YouTube

- Some random guy, not affiliated with US Presidential Canidate Barrack Obama, made a commercial for Obama, which is generating a lot of buzz on YouTube. The ad is based on a popular 1984 superbowl commercial for Apple computers and features Canidate Hillary Clinton appearing on shadowy TV screens like Big Brother from the George Orwell novel 1984. Commentators say the ad is an example of how we are entering a 'brave new world' of political advertising, where anybody can make an influential negative ad, yet the candidate can distance himself from it. The YouTube factor is expected to play a much larger role in the upcoming election.

- I know journalists are always dying to have a nice clever play on words ("The Flames scorch the Oilers", "Bartenders tell City Council to 'butt out' on Smoking Ban", or "Local Teenagers tell City Council to 'butt out' on Mooning Ban"). ABC news really dropped the ball this time though. "A 'Brave New World' of Political Advertising"? Sorry, Brave New World was written by Aldous Huxley, not George Orwell. Nice try. Stick with "Butt Out"

2 comments:

Tobias the River Midget said...

Oh, Elvis, how I've missed your scurvy wit.

I'm going to lobby Aitch to make "If life were like that you wouldn't need a Visa Card" the next Institute Motto.

LONG LIVE THE KING!

Dragon said...

Your google phone idea is interesting. Google can ask people to sign up for this feature. Only the people on the list would get/make the random calls. Imagine the fun!

They could even turn it into some sort of google dating service. It would give the term 'googling someone' a whole new meaning.

Hmmm, there must be a down side I'm not seeing.