Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Why. Even. Bother.

One thing that irks me to no end is when movie studios insist on releasing a sequel to a movie when none of the original major cast members are willing to participate.

I mention this because of a recent news story I read about preproduction starting on a third movie in the Ace Ventura series. And no Jim Carrey involved at all.

Yes, there are some Carrey haters out there. Even I don't necessarily like all his films. But to have anybody but Carrey play Ventura is just not right.

Last week, I was listening to a podcast of a local morning radio show and they were interviewing Jeff Garlin of Curb Your Enthusiasm fame. Some of you might recall that he costarred with Eddie Murphy a few years ago in Daddy Day Care. Great film? Nah, but enjoyable. I'll still watch it when it's on cable (sorry, Hypey). The interviewers asked if he was going to be part of the sequel, Daddy Day Camp.

Thankfully, Garlin said no. But he also confirmed that not even Murphy will be taking part in that movie. According to Garlin, the film will star Cuba "My Career is Shite" Gooding, Jr., in the Murphy role. He doesn't even know who will be taking his place.

If the original principal actors aren't willing to take part, shouldn't that be a sign that the movie is going to be garbage? C'mon now... hint, hint, clue, clue, knock you over the head.

I don't understand why studios do this.

2 comments:

Schrodinger's Kitten said...

Because Hollywood is a business - it's in the business of making money of sappy consumers. And regardless of the cast, there's still $$ that will flow from both of those films. Sad, but true.

Tracy Lynn said...

I saw the first Ventura movie, and found it amusing. The second, not so much. I could have gone my whole life in blissful ignorance of the existence of the third putative movie. BLLLEEEECCCHHH!