Monday, March 27, 2006

Ajax's Question of the Day: The Dinner Party

You'll have to forgive me, this is an old one. Its been a long weekend. And not just because of all the hotties on Spring Break.

The question is:

You're throwing a dinner party for eight, plus yourself (and a significant other, where applicable). The eight people invited can be anyone, living or dead. For the purposes of this question literary, movie, and television characters are NOT considered dead. Only the living and once living may be invited. As well, for purposes of simplicity, we assume a single common, shared language will be used by all attendees. Whom do you invite?

I would invite religious icons, along with the folks I feel most likely to benefit from being in their prescence.
Mohammed, representing Islam: President Ahmadinejad (of Iran), Ismail Haniyah (leader of the new Hamas Palestinian Government), and King Abdullah (Saudi Arabia). (apologies for any incorrect or misspelled names).
Jesus of Nazareth, representing Christianity: Pope Benedict XVI (Catholic), Pat Robertson (oh yes indeedy, U.S.A.), and Pastor Jim Marshall (Canada, formerly U.S.A.).

Now you're saying to yourself, putting Benny, and Pat at the table (I wanted to sneak George Walker Bush in as a waiter, but I think that sort of thing might be held against me later) might make a certain kind of 'Let He Who Is Without Sin Cast The First Stone' sort of sense, who the heck is this Jim Marshall fellow? Well, I'll just say that of all the christians I've known, Pastor Jim is one of the few folks I think who would be able to sit easily through that meal, and enjoy the conversation as it comes.

See you tomorrow.

3 comments:

Dragon said...

Gandhi
Yitzak Rabin
Winston Churchill
Martin Luther King Jr.
Bill Clinton
Nelson Mandella
Dalai Lama
Pope John Paul II

I would love to hear their thoughts on whether or not they believed their peacemaking efforts had a lasting effect on the world.

Hyperion said...

I feel like a website, but this is my website, dagnabbit, so I guess promoting my own fare is okay. I wrote a whole column on this last year: http://hyperionchronicles.blogspot.com/2005/02/339-guess-whos-coming-to-dinner.html

As for Ajax's spin, I'd want monumental artists, so see how they shaped the world. So, all four Ninja Turtles:

Leonardo
Donatello
Raphael
Michelangelo

The other four would be
Heronymous Bosch
Frank Lloyed Wright
Picasso
Bob Ross (the PBS "happy litle bush" guy)

What a dinner that would be!

Lady Jane Scarlett said...

Does inviting Gandhi really count as an eat-ee, especially considering that he was a fruitarian? I say "no", and dammit since I'm a piratess I get to invite 9 since I'm considering Gandhi as a "plus one". I think that there'd be no goal of the dinner, except to have a really great meal and enjoy the company of each other. With that in mind...

I'd invite:
Gandhi
John Locke
Lord Mullet Archibald
Rosalyn Franklin
Thomas Edison
Philip Pullman
Descartes (Domie, he is brilliant)
John Donne
Isaac Newton