Monday, August 06, 2007

the Extra Dollar

So Thursday night Koz Achmed and I are playing Trivia, and our bill comes to $30, for which we all chip in equally.

Afterwards the owner comes up to us and says, "You guys were so cool I want to give you a discount" and hands us back five one dollar bills.

We give the server two dollars and each take a dollar back.

"Wait a minute," says Koz, as we are getting up to leave. "With the dollar back that means we each paid 9 dollars, which is 27 dollars total. We tipped the server 2 dollars, which makes 29 dollars all together. Where did the extra dollar go?"

[answer in credits]

1 comment:

Hyperion said...

I'm not going to tell you the answer: figure it out for yourself. I just wanted to say how dare you think I would eat at a restaurant where the server would get 2 dollars on a 30 dollar bill?

(And Koz wanted me to point out that almost as unlikely as the bad tipping would be me actually having 10 dollars to chip in. In point of fact Koz paid for my meal, which allowed me to eat in the first place. Now figure this out on your own.)