Friday, August 24, 2007

What to get Hyperion? (part 5 of 5)

So this is kind of a sad story.

The year was 1999. I had disposable income (probably the last time), and a complete love of pens. Specifically the Fisher Space Pen. Have you heard of it? Best pen ever invented. It can write upside down, under water, and at temperatures of -50 to 250 degrees. How cool is that?

(And let me just say right now that there is a vicious rumor that NASA spent billions developing the Space Pen while the Russians just used a pencil. It's total BS and anyone who repeats such vile slander should die violently at the hands of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood. Initially both NASA and the Russian Space program used pencils, but they sucked, the lead could break off and kill, plus catch on fire. The good people at Fisher developed the space pen and offered it to NASA, and they were thrilled. And the Russian space program took it up too. So there!)



As you can tell, I LOVED the space pen. I went to their site and bought everyone in my family one. My brother and I even got these MARS Golden Titanium Pens engraved with our names! I liked it because it was nice and big and thick. Cost an arm and a leg, though.


Also, I got this amazing Sensa Pen. What made Sensa so great? Well, they not only had the Fisher Space pen refill for ink, but they used this molding gel as a grip. A wonderful pen, and actually my day-to-day go to pen. (The MARS was too special to carry around.)


You can see this coming, but in the "space" of two weeks both were gone. My beautiful Sensa pen fell out of a plane I was loading, and I lost the MARS pen after a horrific argument with my (at the time) girlfriend's step-mother. (I went back several days later and literally tore the house up looking for that pen. I even pulled up the carpets. This house was always immaculate, and since I was only in a few rooms, the only possible conclusion I could draw was that she threw it away out of spite.)

My wonderful aunt did get me a space pen for Christmas. it's one of the small bullet pens, and I have it right here with me. However, my fingers are so big that I can't use it for every day. If you want to get Hyperion a wonderful gift, a Sensa pen would be amazing. (The Classic and Zephyr are both incredible.




If the price scares you, there is also this neato Aeropen, also with the Fisher refill. Not quite as comfortable, but I'd still love it.

They do have the MARS pens reduced, but they aren't engraved and still cost way too much. But some day......)

And please, people, even if you would never ever EVER buy me a gift, consider getting one of these (or any of the pens at the Fisher site) for someone you care about who loves pens. They will be thrilled! But if you do love me, send the pen to 540 Front Ave. Columbus GA 31901.

4 comments:

Tracy Lynn said...

GREAT. Now I crave the MArs pen. In black. *gnashing of teeth* Bastard.

Hyperion said...

The black titanium ones were AWWEEEEESOMMMMMMEEE. I went with gold, but I'm not kidding: I agonized over the decision for weeks. Back then they were $250. You can get one now for $95 without engraving. Not sure about with engraving.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for mentioning me. I'm sorry the pen is too small :(

Your wonderful aunt

Hyperion said...

Wonderful aunt - I use the pen literally every single day. It's always on me. But you've seen my fingers. To do the kind of serious writing in a long-term way I need a bigger one with a grip.

BUT, the doesn't mean I don't love my space pen. I do. Even more important is that you took time to get that gift because you knew the story. That means a lot.