Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Trailer Review (Part 3 of 3)

I saved the best-looking movie trailers until last. But before I get to those.....


BALLS OF FURY


My Take: How is it possible that Jack Black didn't wind up in this movie, and why am I suspicious that we've seen all the funny parts?

Okay, now the GOOD stuff.



I AM LEGEND


My Take: Will Smith is the last man on the planet? I can dig, baby. If anyone can pull it off it would be him. My understanding is that while there are no humans left on earth, there are 700 million vampires. Talk about your Fresh Meat of Bel Air.



ELIZABETH 2: THE GOLDEN AGE


My Take: Who ever heard of making a sequel to an historical epic, and how effing cool is that? ELIZABETH is one of the most underrated movies of the late '90s, completely ignored because of SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE (not only was LIZ better, but Blanchett deserved Best Actress of Paltrow. There. I said it.) The idea that they brought the same actors back (well, those left alive after the first one), for part 2, which deals with the time of the Armada has me giddy.



THE GOLDEN COMPASS


My take: I have no idea if this will work, but that is one kick-ass preview, n'est pas? The story is taken from the first book of the "His Dark Materials" trilogy, by Phillip Pullman. A friend tried to get me to read once, but I can't remember who that was now. If you were that friend, speak up! Buzz is that Pullman's trilogy is sort of Harry Potter meets Narnia meets Lord of the Rings. Supposedly the books are addictive like Harry Potter, but darker. I'm willing to give it a try. Meanwhile New Line, who made the LOTR series, is investing the same 150 million dollars in this, hoping it will be huge. After seeing that Polar Bear, here's hoping!



UNTITLED 1-18-08 JJ ABRAMS PROJECT


My Take: Shown before TRANSFORMERS, this yet unnamed movie shows several friends in New York on a night when all hell breaks loose. Secrecy has been HUGE here, but word is it's some sort of monster movie. Abrams is the mind that brought us Felicity, Alias and Lost on the small screen and MI:III on the big so I'm willing to go on faith for now. Hyperion LOVES it when a preview whets your appetite without giving the movie's secrets away, and this certainly does that.

Discuss.

1 comment:

Lady Jane Scarlett said...

Yeah, that would have been me to encourage you to read the Pullman series.
And, it's sooo not Narnia. More like Paradise Lost meets LOTR meets Bridge to Terabithia. The magic is beautiful and scary, not Disney.
I admit that I love this series so much that I'm scared of what the movies will be like. Eragon was totally butchered. There. I said that.
But in the Pullman series, there is alot of context in the novels that DO NOT appeal to the Narnia crowd but is critical to the story.
{sigh} We'll see.