Tuesday, July 11, 2006

How do you tell someone you don’t like something they have given you out of the kindness of their heart?

Maybe the person even went to the trouble to make it especially for you. The person has good intentions, but you just are not happy with what they did or gave you. You try not to say “hey thanks, I don’t like it.” But when the person point blank asks you, “what did / do you think?” what should you do? I feel ungrateful saying “I didn’t like it. / It was nice but not me.” But I don’t feel right fibbing either and saying “Oh it was wonderful.” I was placed in this situation just this past weekend. I let the person I know I enjoyed it in all, but part of it was not to my liking. I feel as though I hurt the person, but fibbing wouldn’t have been right either. I love the person dearly. I hope the person knows that and that I was trying to do the right thing by being honest. Sadly, it’s not the only time I’ve been in this situation. And experience has said that honesty is best. Else wise you could end up with a huge bear collection or such that you didn’t really want. Is there a right way to handle this problem? What is it?

An inquisitive Domie

2 comments:

Schrodinger's Kitten said...

I have one better - what if a friend sets you up on an email blind date with a fellow friend, and you cant even bring yourself to get coffee with the freak who is now emailing you, and she asks 'do you like him?'...and you want to scream - 'Hell no, how dare you think that's my type!'

The answer is, be as nice as possible, but dont lie. Say thanks, that it was really thoughtful, but dont mention the fact that it's horrible and you can't sleep at night due to your gift (or blind date as the case may be.)

Anonymous said...

Might I suggest you use the Southern "Well, bless your heart for thinking of me" and walk away?