Friday, July 28, 2006

MB Gallery (IX)

When I was in 6-8th grades we lived near a library, close enough that I could write a bike there. I learned about women from three sources: Reading the entire collection of Sweet Valley High Books (which has to explain much about me), stealing 1970s Playboys from the library (since they wouldn't let me check them out), and then bringing them back (because I was a good chap), and The Savage Sword of Conan. One of my five all time favorite comic books, it stepped up in a major way my expectations of what a comic book could and would show. The sex and violence went much further than I ever thought a comic book could.

And the artwork was incredible. The covers especially were serious works of art, whether or not they landed in a museum. I haven't been able to locate the artists, but I'm still trying. In the meantime, please PLEASE click on them individually and take a closer look. The genius of these covers I could find is in the detail.




Issue #1 Not the greatest, but if you blow it up to look at the detail it's fairly daring for back in the day. (BTW, it's not Van Gogh or nothing, but this is worth about 1300 bucks)






If I had a nickel for every time I've fought a monster on a mountain-side while a smoking hot girl clung to me......





I think the second artist owes the first an apology. Even then, the ape is way better in #1, and um, the girl?






I like these because it shows that even Conan can get censored. Look at the original artwork and then what they used on the cover. See the difference?




I implore you to click and blow it up. The detail is just incredible.




To this day I remember that horse

2 comments:

tiff said...

There is something very very wrong with "bikini girl's" thighs....someone with jugs like that should have lush thighs as well. And she looks like a stick.

lost goddess said...

That's fuckin hot Tiff.........................................................................................Will You Marry Me