Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Words - Merriam Webster

The Word of the Day for July 4 is:

Yankee \YANG-kee\ noun
1 a : a native or inhabitant of New England b : a native or
inhabitant of the northern U.S.
*2 : a native or inhabitant of the U.S.



If definition 2 is the more popular one, why is it 2 and not 1? And why is it of the northern US? Shouldn't it be of the Civil War area northern US? No offense to anyone in Washington State, but they're not really "Yankees." Well unless your from Europe then we all are. And it's true. I've heard Brits and Irish use the term, only to oddly turn to me and say "we don't mean you, just them." Uh, I'm a Yankee of a Yank!

Domie the Yank's Yank!

2 comments:

Hyperion said...

what's the dirtiest sounding phrase you can think of with Yankee in it?

"You can Yank my Yankee Doodle Dandy....right here."

Tracy Lynn said...

Yank this, Doodle Dandy. *wink*

As a Yankee, I don't really get why this is supposed to be derogatory. The Yankee part; NOBODY calls me Doodle Dandy and gets away with it.