Friday, July 28, 2006

MB Gallery (I)



Salvador Dali - "The Sacrament of the Last Supper"

Dali stated that this was an "arithmetic and philosophical cosmogony based on the paranoiac sublimity of the number twelve...the pentagon contains microcosmic man: Christ"

But that's not why I loved it immediately on seeing it, tucked behind a door in a front gallery of the National Galley of Art, when I was 16. I loved it because it mezmerized me, and to this day I still don't really know why. I'm not much for his more popular work, though the spindly-legged elephants are growing on me. Dadaism is beyond me, I suppose.

=================================


Georges Seurat "A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte"

Because, it's COOL! Little dots!

============================


Curt Walter - "Corridor of time"

I love a painting you can dive into and wander around in. This guy's a contemporary, and highly talented in what he does.

===========================


Jan Vermeer - "A Lady Writing a Letter with Her Maid"

I love how the maid looks completely disinterested in what her lady is doing...

======================

1 comment:

Tracy Lynn said...

Little dots are, indeed, cool. I have loved that picture ever since I saw the play Sunday In The Park With George.