Monday, December 19, 2005

Golden Globes (Comedy)

I wrote last week that I was going to examine the Golden Globe Nominations for Movie Actors and Actresses. However, I’m going to wait until I’ve seen a few more films so I’m not just whistling Dixie.

But I will talk about the TV nominations. Today we look at Comedy:

The Supporting categories are lumped with Drama and Mini-series. How is that fair. Jeremy Piven from Entourage goes against Sayid from Lost, and they’re both against Paul Newman in the TV movie Empire Falls? Screwy. We’ll stick to the Leads

Here are the Nominations:

Actor In A Leading Role - Musical Or Comedy Series
Zach Braff in Scrubs
Steve Carell in The Office
Larry David in Curb Your Enthusiasm
Jason Lee in My Name Is Earl
Charlie Sheen in Two And A Half Men

I’ve seen all of these guys, and can’t tell you who has an inside track, but my guess (and my pick) would easily be Jason Lee. Have you seen that mustache?


Actress In A Leading Role - Musical Or Comedy Series
Marcia Cross in Desperate Housewives
Teri Hatcher in Desperate Housewives
Felicity Huffman in Desperate Housewives
Eva Longoria in Desperate Housewives
Mary-Louise Parker in Weeds

Hmmmmm….I wonder if Golden Globes has a theme? Would have been nice to see the mom from Everybody Hates Chris, but what are you going to do? I have to be honest: Desperate Housewives went so far downhill so quickly that I quit watching this year, but from last year (which the Golden Globes is also looking at), I’d go for Marcia Cross. I also am loving Mary-Louise Parker’s performance in Weeds.


Television Series - Musical Or Comedy
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Desperate Housewives
Entourage
Everybody Hates Chris
My Name Is Earl
Weeds

Koz tells me Entourage is incredible. I haven’t seen it, so I can’t comment. I have seen Curb Your Enthusiasm (though not this season’s), and love it. Desperate Housewives I’ve already commented on, as I have the enjoyable (if lightweight) Weeds. My selection would be between Everybody Hates Chris and My Name is Earl, and while I’d be happy if either won (really: they are both superior shows and you should be watching), but my pick would be My Name is Earl. I suppose this is the time when I should say something about Arrested Development, but I’m too sad.

Tomorrow: The Dramas.


No comments: