Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Weekend Update, Part 1


A whole bunch of things happened to me last weekend. It started with a marriage proposal and ended with a proposition…the likes of which you wouldn’t believe even if I told you (and this is taking into consideration that you’re familiar with how my life works). Anyway, over the next couple of days I want to write about the things that happened that you may find interesting.

Things that bugged me

I was listening to this version of “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas” by a Christian Choir, and they changed the words to “Through the years we all will be together, if the LORD allows….”

I’m not against the Lord or anything, but that’s not the song! The song should go “If the FATES allow…”

Oh, Christians don’t believe in Fate, you say. (And somewhere, pure-blood Baptists raised their heads in anger….) Fine. But then don’t sing the song. If you’re going to sing the song, sing it the way it’s supposed to be sung!

My real anger here started back in ’91, when this incredibly dorky girl sang a song at church camp. The song was “Everything I Do” by Bryan Adams. She changed “I’d lie for you” to “I’d die for you.” You may recall, “I’d die for you” is already in the lyrics; she just sung it twice. I suppose it’s not the biggest deal in the world (after all, I’m currently trying to rewrite the lyrics to Santa Baby to make Santa Pirate), but I still get irked.


No comments: