Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Golden Globes - TV Drama

Today I wanted to look at the Golden Globe Nominations for TV Dramas

Actor In A Leading Role - Drama Series
Patrick Dempsey in Grey's Anatomy
Matthew Fox in Lost
Hugh Laurie in House
Wentworth Miller in Prison Break
Kiefer Sutherland in 24

Inexplicably Ian McShane was left off for Deadwood. Virtually as bizarre were Michael Chiklis (The Shield), Julian McMahon (Nip/Tuck) and Denis Leary (Rescue Me) being left off as well. These were the awesome performances, and there should have been an argument over which one is left out.

I say this because Hugh Laurie and Kiefer Sutherlands are obvious choices, and with those other four omissions, the race should come down to one of those two (although watch the Golden Globes give it to Patrick Dempsey). Don’t get me wrong, I love his Dr. McDreamy on Grey’s, but c’mon! It’s not in the same league as the others.

Wentworth Miller and Matthew Fox are both good at their jobs, but not in the same league as the guys overlooked. Almost criminal. This should be the best race in years, and we get that.


Actress In A Leading Role - Drama Series
Patricia Arquette in Medium
Glenn Close in The Shield
Geena Davis in Commander-In-Chief
Kyra Sedgwick in The Closer
Polly Walker in Rome

I don’t have much to say on this category, other than the Globes love stars, so look for Geena Davis or Glenn Close to win. Polly Walker if fantastic, but I doubt she has a prayer.


Television Series - Drama
Commander-In-Chief
Grey's Anatomy
Lost
Prison Break
Rome

So let’s talk about what shows aren’t there. Uh, 24? Uh, House? Uh, Deadwood? How can those shows be left out? Seriously, I ask you? Does this mean there is no God. (And this doesn’t even get to Rescue Me, which should arguably be there, and Battlestar Galactica and possibly Veronica Mars). In fact, I’m now determined to do a top ten list of TV for the year.

That being said, looking at what they actually nominated, there are some good ones. Lost is obvious, and should win. Grey’s Anatomy gets better with each week, so I can’t be too upset about that. I’ve seen the fist six episodes of Rome, and while it starts a tad slowly, it’s pretty freaking sweet.

I’m the one who told you about Prison Break, and I certainly enjoy it, but Best Drama? I don’t think so.

And Commander in Chief. I’ve watched a few episodes. It’s predictable, although that’s not necessarily a bad thing. And it did get better. But some of the writing was so god-awful I could barely choke down my own vomit. I should mention that my dad disagrees, and likes Commander in Chief enough to skip House to watch it, but not me. It goes on the scrap heap, and with the shows left out, the inclusion of that show is inexcusable.

No comments: