Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Sea-Hagish Delight

I saw "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" a few days ago (it was really good, by the way) and that got me thinking, what kind of candy would be soooo good that it might make me betray my family just so I could get some more?

Of all the candies in the world, I think my choice would have to be...Cow Tails. If you don't know what they are, they're a long tube of chewy caramel with a white sugary-creme center. They are tasty, but I think the thing that would make me chose them is that they're impossible to find. Usually you can only find them in a few gas stations, and even then they're often kind of stale. So when you find a fresh, chewy Cow Tail lightly dusted with some sort of floury substance (to keep it from adhering to the wrapper) it's like manna from Heaven. Mmmmm.

And speaking of which, has anyone ever tried Turkish Delight? I found some at the store a few weeks before the movie came out. I read 'The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe' years ago and the Turkish Delight is one of the few things I remembered about it, so naturally I wanted to try it. Unlike Edmund's Turkish Delight, mine was coated in chocolate instead of powdered sugar. Eagerly, I took a bite of it...and it was awful. The center was a reddish colored goo that was thicker than jam but softer than a gumdrop. It was also completely devoid of taste, just a gummy sweet blob covered in chocolate.

Turns out the kind I had was Cadbury's version of Turkish Delight. The 'real' kind actually supposed to be rose-flavored: go here and learn all about it.

Love,
Sea Hag

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that should be "tales".

http://www.oldtimecandy.com/images/candypix-pages/cow-tales_small.jpg

Hyperion said...

When we lived in Oregon there was this company in the Hood River that made Aplets and Cotlets; confectioners candy made out of apples or apricots and walnts. (They now have them with raspberries, blueberries, mango, and all sorts of stuff). The dudes who started the company were Turkish, and we were told it was close to Turkish Delight. It was quite awesome, although I don't know if I would betray my family for it. However, I would betray them for Skittles Littles, in case anyone wants to send me some. (And is there a candied beef jerky?)

Sea Hag said...

Tales, tails, whatever. It's all good.