Tuesday, November 01, 2005

I ruined Trivia

I meant to come home and write up all these Halloween memories I’d been thinking about during the day, but I screwed up Trivia tonight so badly I no longer have the heart. Things were going so well, too. We did two sections of trivia, with 10 questions and then the Bonus one. (Give me a few hours and I’ll post some of the questions.)

I pulled up this site http://www.canadainfolink.ca/charttwo.htm and wrote down the five highest populations. I was distracted and in a real hurry when I did it, so I just didn’t pay attention, and I wrote down “Ottawa” as one of the choices, which you can see if you click on the link, is the capital of Canada.

I mean, I know that, you know? I was just distracted. I would have caught it, I think. Before I asked each question I read over it and made sure it was all good.

But then something happened. Something awful.

I’m a little worried about writing it on here, but I will if you promise to keep it to yourselves. What had happened was that I was in the washroom earlier in the evening, just collecting myself a bit, and um, well, using the facilities. A man came into the stall next to me and did likewise. I stood up about the same time as he, to see him walk out, check his hair, and exit the washroom WITHOUT WASHING HIS HANDS!!!!!

I’m not a germophobe, but this bothers me more than SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE winning Best Picture over SAVING PRIVATE RYAN: a lot. I mean, I almost had a stroke.

THEN I walked out and was going to get a hot dog. However, I arrived to find that same man with his hands buried in the hot dog bun package, tearing off a bun and touching several others. Obviously I couldn’t get a hot dog after that. I was almost sick. I mean, that kind of stuff happens every day, and it’s probably fine, but me seeing it, you know?

Anyway, I recovered and things were going great. The first trivia was a success and we did a second. We’re coming up on the last questions and this same man walks up to my table and offers me his hand, to congratulate me on a good job.

Brothers and Sisters, it took EVERY ounce of control in my body not to throw up on him. I am having a hard time remembering something in my life I wanted to do less than shake that man’s hand. But I did. I did it not to make a scene.

But I almost lost it after that. My vision was blurry, I couldn’t focus, and I just read the next question off without looking it over. (Made doubly terrible because I had TWO bonus questions that would have worked.

So I’m feeling pretty bad now. I ruined trivia for all those guys.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You just reminded me of "Monk" and the urinator.

I'm sure you didn't ruin trivia night - if we want to blame any one blame the non-handwasher - at least you didn't point out to him and shout - "you don't wash your hands" and then hit him w/ a blast from the fire hose. Or have your assistant hand you a wipe before & after you touched his hand...

Anonymous said...

In my world, and 'cause I absolutely lack the finess to say anything truly comforting, hugs fix everything. Here's to you.

P.S. Did you get the message about why I couldn't make it last night? It may not rank with Shakespear beating Private Ryan, but I was pretty dissappointed. Cool about Rosa Parks. Chin up, chat later :)

Anonymous said...

I was one of the frothing mob whining about Ottawa. Until I discovered that the other final jeopardy provincial capital answer we gave was completely wrong anyway. Halifax is #5, not Victoria. I think St. John's is #6.

The substitute word question at the end was unfortunately rushed and confusing, but also intensely gratifying: three sections of words that players had to figure out the complete word without knowing how many total letters.

ex. _ _ _ _ _tchphr _ _ _ _ _

which turned out to be catchphrase

The team I was on took the instructions to mean the letters were taken from words in order, but had other letters missing which we needed to figure out what the word was from the remainder

Ex. c_ _ h_ _s _ _t _ _

Which we took to be Touchstone(actual answer, matchstick)

The cool part is that our way we still managed to come up with three actual word answers to the question, only 'catchphrase' being a correct one.

Other cool stuff (non-trivia related): The kid dressed as a parrot (homemade, cloth costume, tired little kid). The girl dressed as a Skald (google it). The two guys wrapped in tinfoil with written-on toilet paper taped to their hats (costume: Hershey's Kisses), and of course, that I was able to bask in the glorious presence of our supreme leader.

If you didn't attend, you missed out on alot of defiled hotdogs, and more than a little entertainment.