Sunday, November 27, 2005

Not my favorite trip to Denny's

So, here's what happened.

I'm on my way to Denny's. I was there Thursday and noticed the roads all changed up for construction. I remember then noting about where it took place (just after Rocky Ridge intersection), because it's hard to see.

Anyway, the road had been kind of slick going up this big hill, because of gusting snow. Where I was it wasn't bad, but I was still going slower than normal. When I saw Rocky Ridge coming up, I slowed further, to make sure I'd see the road veering. It's really hard to see.

When I saw the concret barriers shifting the road I applied the brakes. At that same moment I hit an icy patch and my car started to slide.

Now, I have to break (no pun intended) up my story for a moment to explain how I do things. Small little matters often tear me to pieces. But the big stuff, life-altering stuff, the crises and dangers, I get very calm and relaxed. Makes me think I'd be a good leader (but a terrible person, which is why no one ever likes being around me for too long).

Anyway, the normal thing to do would be to go to the left and try to get out of the slide. With two lanes plus generous shoulders on either side, and at a reduced speed, I should have been fine.

However, there was a car next to me. It was a maroon Honda Accord (I'm pretty sure), and the woman beind the wheel didn't seem to notice my slide. I remember at the time being quite annoyed with her, but the reality is at night, with the snow, she's just concentrating on the road in front of her, so I can't really hate. Anyway, for whatever reason, she didn't see me and wasn't slowing down (or speeding up).

All of this happend very very quickly, but I like I told you, things slow down for me, so i'm describing how I experienced it. The concret barriers were coming up very quickly, and it was either jerk my car to the left and probably side-swipe her, or hit the barriers.

I chose the barriers.

'
(a picture of what the barrier looked like. Not the actual barrier Hyperion hit)



There were about 20 of them, each one at a slight angle to force people to veer left instead of gonig straight (as they normally would). By the time I hit the first my speed was virtually all because of the slide, as my braking had done as much as possible. The right front of the car hit the barrier, and I tried to drive along the edge to control the car; still worried about swerving back into the road. About a half second after the first collision the right side airbag came out. By this time I had already hit my seat belt and returned to original position, and I tried to drive the car best I could. Didn't work too well.

I hit several more barriers as my car continued its deceleration, and only after the last one did the driver's side air bag deploy. (This is reason #2 I was lucky. Thursday night, with my lack of knowledge about the road veering (it's a recent thing), and with how hard they are to see, I'd have hit them very hard. Secondly, if I'd needed my air bag I'd be dead right now)

Once the air bag came out I couldn't see, which was worrying because a big (unlit) Arrow Neon sign (generally used to make people go to one lane), and a light pole were right ahead, but by then I was virtually stopped, and hitting an orange traffic cone (one of the big drum-looking ones) stopped me completely.

The woman never did notice what happend. A guy behind us stopped and came over, and he trash-talked the woman a bit. By this time I realized it was likely she just missed what happened, and no longer had hatred in my heart, but it seemed to make him feel better. That guy called EMS.

I was kind of embarrassed when they showed up. By far my biggest irritations (in top ten order, no less!) were:

#5 They were saving my seat at Denny's, and now they were going to lose income becasue no one would be taking that seat

#4 I had TONS of writing to do, and I knew this would screw up my schedule not only tonight but possibly for weeks

#3 This might affect my WITNESS PROTECTION PROGRAM status if the police asked too many questions

#2 My Norah Jones CD was stuck in the car (later this moved way down the list, but at the time...)

#1 It was my mother's car, and even though I did everything humanly possible, as this was a brand new car, I knew I'd never hear the end of it.


Anyway, the EMS were super-deck people, and I felt bad at the time because I felt they should be out saving actually hurt people. However, over the next few minutes both wrists and back started to hurt a good bit, and then my head (which may have been tension), and ankles a tad. They told me often the real injuries don't show up for a few hours, days, or even weeks, so I'll keep you posted.

I gave the EMS guys my website, and then I had to deal with the police, who were also cool, and then my dad showed up. By the way, my dad not only had to preach last night, but has to go on in a few hours to preach again, so he's the real hero. It was cold as can be (with the wind) as we waitied for the two truck, but mostly I got to wait in vehicles, so that was nice.

That's pretty much all I have right now. Thanks for listening.

No comments: