Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Huzzah!

So, even though most of you don't know where I am in Canada (hidden up here in the Witness Protection Program), you do know that I moved to a small town in 2004, one without much to do.

This includes movies.

Oh, they had two video stores. I've written many adventures that started at one of the video stores, and had more than my share of adventures with the girls who worked there.

So I'm not hating on them, but....the store leaves a lot to be desired. The selection isn't very good. And, the owner refuses to stock anything but Full Screen unless absolutely not given a choice. Most of you know how I feel on that subject, so I'll avoid the soapbox, for now.

All of that is prologue to say we just got our own Blockbuster! If you're thinking that fattened baby cows should be slaughtered and drunken huzzahs should ring out all across the frozen countryside, you'd not be wrong.

(Let there be joining of bagel to cheese!)

When I was in the city I practically lived at my local Blockbuster. Since I knew more about movies than, well, anyone alive, the employees would send customers over to me and I'd guide them to what they wanted.

I would love to actually work at Blockbuster (think of all the money I'd save!), except that I'm too much of a snob. Someone would bring up a movie like CHARLIE'S ANGELS and I'd send them back. "You can do better." I'd say with disapproval.

Anyway, our new blockbuster is pretty huge. And while they don't have a "Classics" section (DO NOT get me started), they do have a lot of movies.

And I've already made friends. One of them I call the Blockbuster Wench, or Blench, as she shall forevermore be named on these pages. I rented a bunch of movies on my birthday I haven't watched yet, including one she recommended. I told her I'd watch it and then review it over on Movie-Hype, and if it's good I'd give her the credit, and if it's bad I'd give her the blame.

Since I'm sort of taking it easy the next couple of weeks (as you know, I worked like a dog right up through New Year's), most of what I'll be posting will be tons of movie reviews. And of course some top ten lists, but I could use some ideas, or maybe even guest lists?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you like my movie, I want my name changed!! I am NOT a Wench! ;o)

Anonymous said...

Hypie, Honey, Baby, Sex God -

Did you know that Blockbuster (the evil corp monster - I can say that I worked at a few - don't get me started) - they do a mail thing like Netflix - it's a wee bit cheaper than Netflix too I believe - but that is here in the US not sure of the Canook standing but usually it is equivical.

Hugs, Domie.