Thursday, January 26, 2006

Merriam-Webster (& Harry Potter)

The Word of the Day for January 26 is: ossify

Ossify \AH-suh-fye\ verb
1 : to become or change into bone or bony tissue 2 : to become or make hardened or set in one's ways

Almost sounds like a spell from Harry Potter. Too bad someone did try it after Lockhart (HP2) has his go on the Quiddich field.

Speaking of words from M-W and Harry Potter....

umbrage \UM-brij\ noun
1 : shade, shadow
2 : shady branches : foliage
3 a : an indistinct indication : vague suggestion : hint b : a reason for doubt : suspicion
*4 : a feeling of pique or resentment at some often fancied slight or insult

dif spelling - but same sound - Prof Umbridge (HP5)

2 comments:

Hyperion said...

I take umbrage at that remark.

Actually I don't. It's just that Koz's wife used to ossify me too. Sniff sniff.

Dragon said...

I feel left out. I wish someone would ossify me. Sniff sniff.